Commenting and You
One of Torhead's many useful features is the user-submitted comment system. This system allows users to submit their own comments to augment the data provided by Torhead. As a rule, Torhead promotes the submission of informative comments, but we also like to see the occasional joke. Moderators and users alike will apply positive and negative ratings to comments in an effort to promote the useful ones and purge unnecessary information.
With that in mind, below is a guide that can be used to determine how your comment will likely be received by the community.
Before you post
- Read existing comments ? Sometimes, the information you have may already have been posted by another user. In this case, if the information is useful, the existing comment should be given a positive rank. Posting information that was already added in a previous comment will likely result in a negative rating.
- Verify your facts ? Make sure that what you have to post is true. A friend might tell you that a mob is immune to something, but unless you verify that yourself, you could be posting a potentially misleading comment.
- Strategies ? If you have a strategy that can assist other users in completing a quest or defeating a mob, by all means, share!
- Quest coordinates ? Providing coordinates for the location of quest items or mobs is always useful. When possible, you should provide Torhead links to quest targets as well.
- Theorycrafting ? We encourage users to post any information they have regarding complex calculations they may have performed to, for example, prove one item has a higher DPS than another given certain abilities.
- Just for laughs ? If your comment is one that would be universally funny (i.e. not an inside joke), post away. We like to laugh as much as anyone else. Of course, whether your joke is funny or not is subject to our other users. :)
- Redundant information ? For instance, a comment that says "Dropped by XRR-3" does not add anything to the page as that information can be viewed in the "Dropped By" tab of the page in question.
- Soloed by: Unless your comment contains a detailed explanation of how you defeated a mob, these comments do not add anything to the page. Simply stating your level, class, and that you soloed the mob by using a few skills is not enough to be useful.
- Dropped in X kills ? Telling users that you were lucky enough to get a rare item in one drop is not considered useful information.
- Confirmed! ? Adding a comment that simply indicates that you have confirmed a comment left by someone else clutters the comments. The best way to confirm a comment as correct is to give it a positive ranking. A comment with a high ranking will indicate to users that many people think it is useful data.