power tech advanced prototype off hand weapon

7 posts
By jessejessejanko at 2011-12-25 19:25:05
I was just wondering what the off hand weapon of a advanced prototype would be. Do they use shields like the shield tech or something else?
By zietes at 2011-12-25 20:48:12
They use "Power generators". higher Aim, and Tech Power than the Shield Generators, but no shield.
By Jestunhi at 2011-12-25 21:03:10

Personally I'm leaning towards an advanced prototype build with the tank stance & a shield.

60% armour, 5% damage reduction, 20% shield chance all traded gained just by those 2 things.

That's quite a survivability boost for no real loss. There's a couple of skills in the tree which relate to a DPS stance so you need to avoid them, but you keep all the damage skills in the tree and are noticably tougher. Plus you are available for last ditch guarding.

Of course, these are PvP observations where a non-tank guarding the ball carrier in huttball can make all the difference and the survivability is a big boost for a DPS. With our heavy armour and tank stance we can take more of a beating than your generic ranged DPS.

:edit:

Of course your abilities will be a bit weaker due to the loss of tech power compared to a generator. But I haven't found it to be too big a loss.

Certainly not enough to offset the extra 15-20% (not PvP bolstered or lvl 50 yet, can't check right now) damage reduction which you gain, plus 20% shield chance.

By nefloyd at 2011-12-26 02:25:04
Choosing Powertech gives you the option to use Shield Generators or Power Generators. Power gens lose the shield chance but grant higher damage boost.
By Bukwas666 at 2011-12-27 07:35:38
Can anyone post a link to their build(s)? Please. I am using a build I found off the forums on SWTOR.com, but not sure if I like it. I would be very interested in an advanced prototype build. Thank you.
By Fauxknight at 2011-12-28 14:12:00
Using a shield generator with Ion Gas Cylinder is a good option for a few levels, and it works great for soloing and PvP. Eventually though you'll end up with picks in Prototype Cylinder Ventilation and for flashpoints and operations you'll want to switch over to High Energy Gas Cylinder to take full advantage of it. At that point you'll also want to use a power generator, because the shield generator is only reducing incoming ranged and melee damage by 1% (20% of 5%).
By Jestunhi at 2011-12-28 17:16:11

I've dropped shield for power generator but still use ion gas cylinder.

A little gas venting and 15% runspeed buff isn't enough to offset the survivability of the tank form imo. and those are the only 2 things in the AP skill tree which only work with the high energy gas cylinder.

My current planned spec (avoiding skills which need the high energy gas cylinder): http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMMZRsrrobfkbs.1

But the final 10 points are subject to change.

You are not signed in. Please sign in to post a reply.